Monday, March 24, 2008

Long vs Short

Through out my young years as a little girl, then teenager and even young adult, my father would only trim my hair once a year. We had it scheduled, it took place every February 2ND. When I say trim it meant barely cutting the ends just to straighten it. My father just like most Mexican Males have the idea in their head that any female looks beautiful when she has very long hair. So my father never thought of or even pictured me with short hair. If I ever brought up the conversation of me wanting to cut my hair shorter, he would state that if I did I would not look as pretty as I did with my long hair. So I did not cut my hair throughout my childhood. What I did do was permed my hair when I was in middle school and then dyed it when I was in high school. I have to say that my father did get upset when I permed it to the point that he stopped talking to me for a few days. He did not say much when I dyed it since to him his opinion no longer counted since the day I permed my hair. Towards the end of my high school years I started to get the idea of cutting my hair thinking that my father would not say anything about it. Oh no, to my dad cutting my hair was still an off limits conversation. No, not while you are living under my roof he would say. But I really wanted to cut it, so around the age of 20 I began warning my dad that I was going to cut my hair as soon as I turned 21. So the whole year he kept getting the warning so he would not get upset and expect it once it happened. So November 3rd came around I was now 21 and..... I could not do it. I could not get rid of my beautiful silky hair so, I got layers around my face but still had my beautiful long hair.

And that was the beginning of cutting my hair. So I finally went ahead and chopped it off.


After that, I let it grow more, cut in layers, let the layers grow out, cut it straight, let it grow, cut it to shoulder length, let it grow, gave it more layers, let it grow, cut it straight no layers, let it grow and Finally up to today; I decided to cut it the shortest I had the guts to go.


Now I am thinking about letting it grow to the point where I once had my long straight hair up to my butt. So what do you guys think, is it better long or short?

8 comments:

Lira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lira said...

I like your hair short. I remember in college when you cut the front, you came by my job in the student id office. I thought you cut all of your hair off I was like OMG, then you turned around and I seen your long hair. But I really like it short, it's so cute, it totally fits you.

Kandra said...

I have to say that I am a fan of long hair and miss mine, but I think you look hot with short hair stella and quite frankly you've got your groove back:) It's crazy to see your hair long to your ass. I vote short.

Anonymous said...

Sadly I have to say that I like best the one with very long and brown like a J W Waterhouse painting. It must have felt so nice over the arms and over the body. My first girlfriend had (still has as far as I know) hair like that, and I couldn't help falling in love with her.

The other is just boring. Anyone can have it short.

Anonymous said...

do you have any during the cutting pictures, and any higher resolution ones.

i say grow it all one lenght and to the knees, and you will look like a goddess.

Anonymous said...

As you can see, all men wants you let grow your hair as long as you can. Only a woman says that you stay good with short hair...
So...?
I prefer long long hair...

Ann Nillson said...

Since you're asking others for their comments, I would bet that you are of two minds about it. There are three decisions to make. One is "What looks best on me? With what style do I feel most beautiful, most desirable, most confident?" A second is "How much trouble (and expense) do I want to go to, in terms of washing, drying, and paying for professional styling?" The third is "Do I want to be true to my Dad and have the hair that he loved, or do I want to assert my independence and show that I'm not bossed around, and that I make my own decisions?" Only you can strike the balance between the push-pull of question three.
My opinion--you look better with longer, rather than shorter hair. The middle picture, blurry as it appears on my monitor is the prettiest. It's a soft style that frames your face, adds motion and gives you a lot of style options. The shorter cut jars a little, because you have soft round cheeks, but the cut is straight across. The straight lines clash with the natural softness of your face.
With the really long hair, the focus becomes your hair, not your face. It's three or four times more work for maybe 10-20% more beauty.
I suggest something that is between shoulder length at the short end of the range and three to five inches longer at the long end. I'd suggest side-swept bangs or an off-center part, again, to have more curves around your face.
Isn't it fun to play around with the possibilities?
Anne Nillson

Anonymous said...

I like the first picture. The others, I don't know. My own hair has reached waist length hair and I love it.